Over 100 Years Of Service

Hurt On Dangerous Premises In Western Massachusetts Or Southern Vermont?

Individuals often suffer serious injuries while on the property of another — these injuries can be caused by a variety of hazards. The property owner has a duty to take reasonable steps to ensure your safety.

This means that if the owner knows or should have known about a particular hazard, they have an obligation to take reasonable steps to fix the hazard or warn those on the property so they can avoid the danger. If the owner fails in their duty and you are injured, you may have a claim against the property owner.

Call us for a free consultation for more information. We can be reached in North Adams, Springfield and Pittsfield, Massachusetts, at 413-663-3200 and in Vermont at 802-442-3233.

Common Risks That Lead To Serious Slip-And-Fall Accidents

Potential hazards for which a landowner may be liable include:

  • Snow and/or ice accumulations
  • Slippery, broken, or irregular stairs
  • Structural defects (where the property owner has not taken appropriate steps to comply with safety regulations)
  • Improper maintenance such as torn carpeting, missing tiles, or other tripping hazards
  • Spilled liquids or food in supermarkets
  • Falling or improperly secured objects
  • Unsafe construction or renovation areas
  • Unrestrained animals

When property is hazardous due to building code violations, uneven or defective walking surface or a flawed design, a serious injury may result for which the property owner may be liable. If you slipped and suffered a serious injury in a store, restaurant, apartment building, home or any other establishment, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and losses.

The attorneys of Donovan O'Connor & Dodig, LLP, have consistently and successfully represented people who have been injured in premises liability cases, including slip-and-falls. We work quickly to secure evidence and research similar claims of negligence against the property owner. Our firm is committed to recovering full and fair compensation for medical bills, ongoing medical care, lost earnings, disability, and pain and suffering.

I Was Injured In An Animal Attack. What Can I Do?

In addition to representing people who have been bitten by dogs, we also advise those who have been hurt in other animal-related incidents, such as the following:

  • When an unleashed dog knocks over a bicyclist or causes a jogger or pedestrian to trip and fall
  • When an exotic animal, such as a privately held wildcat or parrot, attacks and injures a visitor on someone else’s property
  • When a defective fence or gate allows livestock, such as cattle or horses, to get out and injure passersby

These are just a few examples of animal attacks and related accidents that may bring injured clients or their family members to our firm. We are here to counsel and advocate in such cases.

What Should I Do After I Have Been Injured On Someone Else’s Property?

You should seek immediate and appropriate medical attention, which may include a visit to the emergency room or a call to your primary care physician. You should report the incident to the property owner as soon as you can.

You should also collect the names, phone numbers and addresses of any witnesses, and, if possible, photograph your injuries and the dangerous condition that caused your injury. If you were injured at a business, you should speak with a manager and insist they generate a written report regarding the incident.

Do I Need An Attorney To Help Me With My Premises Liability Case?

Premises liability cases can be extremely complex. There are often issues regarding whether the property owner was aware of the dangerous condition on the property prior to the incident, whether the injured individual was adequately warned of a hazard, or whether the injured individual was distracted or otherwise not paying attention.

There are many potential types of premises liability cases beyond those that you normally think of:

  • A pedestrian may be struck by a falling piece of equipment or building material on or near a construction site
  • Someone going to or from a car parked in a parking garage with inadequate lighting or security may be criminally attacked

We pursue recovery for the injured in such cases. We also bring third-party liability claims on behalf of injured workers, which are separate from their workers’ compensation claims.

Contact Our Lawyers To Schedule A No-Obligation Meeting

If you or a family member has been injured on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, physical pain and suffering, and any disability resulting from the fall. Call us at 413-663-3200 in Massachusetts or 802-442-3233 in Vermont or contact us online for a free consultation with an experienced Massachusetts or Vermont premises liability lawyer.

All cases are handled on a contingent fee basis — you will pay no attorneys’ fees unless we win compensation in your case.

Practice Areas