Over 100 Years Of Service

Provide Stability To The Children In Your Life

Are you a grandparent, aunt, uncle or other family member who is concerned about the well-being of a minor child? Do you have a family member such as a niece, nephew or grandchild living with you? If so, you may wish to seek guardianship to obtain legal custody of that child.

On the other side of this issue, you may be the parent of a child in the middle of a guardianship action. Whatever situation you find yourself in, you can turn to Donovan O'Connor & Dodig, LLP, for experienced guidance.

Our Berkshire County law firm has been in existence since 1913. For more than a century, our law firm has seen the shifting shapes of families and seen people step up to help out children whom they care about. As your attorneys, we can help you seek guardianship of a minor child or provide you with options if someone in your family is trying to seek guardianship of your child.

Call us today to learn how we can help. We can be reached in North Adams or Pittsfield, Massachusetts, at 413-663-3200 or in Bennington, Vermont, at 802-442-3233.

Why Would Guardianship Be Sought?

If you are concerned about the environment in which a child is living or if you have concerns about a child’s safety or well-being, it is natural that you would want to step in to help the child. Family members as well as friends of the family may want to seek guardianship of a minor child for reasons that include:

  • An absent parent
  • A deceased parent
  • A parent’s inability to care for child
  • A parent under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol
  • An unfit parent

When guardianship is established, the guardian obtains custody of the child and has the same authority to make decisions that a parent would make. Guardianship does many things, but it does not terminate the parent-child relationship.

Seeking guardianship of a minor child can be an emotional and challenging path, but when the best interests of the child are put at the forefront, you can feel confident that you are making the correct decision. One of our lawyers can help you every step of the way.

Schedule A Consultation To Obtain Guidance About Establishing Guardianship

Let us help you take legal action to secure guardianship of a child you care about. As the largest law firm in Berkshire County, we help people involved in many types of guardianship issues. Schedule your consultation to speak with us. We can be reached in Massachusetts at 413-663-3200 or in Vermont at 802-442-3233. We can also be contacted online.

Practice Areas